Saturday, August 12, 2006

UFOs



Still in the heat of summer, but anticipating fall coming, I guess I’ll rev up the ol’ knitting motor.  
I currently am working on a sock.  I historically struggle with things that are pairs.  Right now in my UFO stash are 3 single socks and one thrum mitten. (They're all scrunched from being in my UFO pile for several years now). My goal this year is to finish these pairs.  The sock I’m working on now is the second of a pair (yeah) the first one I finished in France last fall.  Perhaps the second I can finish in Greece this fall – they then can be my traveling socks.  The mitten should be next and then the other two socks.  The other two socks are actually matching – crazy colorful stripes – one adult, one baby.  Maybe I’ll finish before moonbeam arrives and we can wear our matching socks.  On second thought, these are actually too colorful for me who usually only wears white or black socks – yep pretty boring in the sock department.  But, maybe Moonbeam and Aunt Donna can have matching socks…there’s a great idea.

I've posted close-up photos of the heels of the two different socks. The rust-colored pair turn the heel in a series of short rows, the crazy-colored socks in a more traditional heel flap. Since these are the only two socks I've made, I don't know yet which I prefer. Anyone out there with experience here? preference?

4 comments:

C's Mom said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I couldn't even make a sock that resembled a sock. One thing I never learned to do.

Thanks for visiing me and I'll be following your journey!

wzgirl said...

Hey Barb! Is the purpley one self striping? I have trouble with things in pairs as well - I've got a pair of gloves that just aren't knitting themselves...the fingers are just so hard. Haven't tried socks, yet. Too many other UFO's. I like both heels, BTW.

Beeb said...

The purpley ones ( actually rusty-ish???)are self striping. I may end up giving these to my sister as well - Again, boring in the sock department! I'd bet those little bear legs and arms aren't any harder than glove fingers.

Unknown said...

I like the flap vs short rows. I can adjust them to the height of the heel better for a better fit