So, I'm tired of my kitchen...
If you look at the post below...several down.. where I'm brazenly displaying my filthy kitchen...you'll see... It's tired... The baby blue laminate countertops must go - perhaps should have gone when I ripped the matching blue-flowered wallpaper down 7 years ago. Funny- I've lived with this for the last 7 years and have been fine with it. Recently, it's begun to drive me crazy.
So, in hopes of a "cheap" kitchen lift I decided to upgrade the appliances, paint the cabinets and get a new countertop. Here's where suggestions are welcome... I have a rhubarb colored accent wall with butter yellow on the other walls. what color should I paint the cabinets (keeping resale in mind) and what kind of countertops. I know granite is the popular choice, but I'm open to other options (think "cool", but perhaps less expensive than granite).
I will be living in chaos for a while.. The new fridge is being delivered Friday. It's going in a new spot - where the stove is. the stove will move to the refrigerator's old home. The "cheap" part of this went by the wayside, when I got the electricians bid for moving the outlets (electric range) and actually purchasing the stainless refrigerator and above the range microwave... YIKES!! I will be able to see the old wallpaper once the switch is made because the old fridge is such a HOSS, I couldn't move it to remove the wallpaper or paint behind it. Once I do that, I'm sure I'll have to give a new coat of paint to the entire kitchen. I'm also waiting just a bit to upgrade the stove and dishwasher so I'll have the old bisque ones for a while longer. It will be interesting...
So, come on ya'll. Help me out, get your creative interior design juices flowing, and give me some cabinet color & countertop suggestions... (Another thing to keep in mind is that the house was built in 1909 - too contemporary and it won't work - a nice eclectic blend of traditional and contemporary, now that's my style)
Oh, and if you're interested... I did end up frogging the lace scarf and starting over again - many times It's now going well and I am on clue #3 - where the rest of the group is on clue #5. slow but sure, my friends - remember the turtle!
5 comments:
Check this out:
http://www.countertop-digital.com/countertop/200703/?pg=10
It is counter top material made of recycled glass and bits/pieces of old stoplights. I LOVE it - but jzboy is just not as eclectic as I am and we went with granite. Our granite is called butterfly blue and is essentially black with nice blue nuances. I love it, too - but prob would have done something a bit funkier if left to my own devices.
Now you've got my .02 cents...
i love kitchen rehab stories, I get to do mine vicariously through you!
I don't think my family would survive a new kitchen but I must do something because a few mice have moved in, a sure sign that stuff is getting way old.
I would paint the cabninet either white or slightly off white and check out either Quartz or Corrian for the countertop. I have a dark gray speckled corrian countertop in my kitchen and it has held up really well in the last five years. Let me know if you have any questions.
Stephanie
forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com
Here are some handy hints, Barb:
New kitchen built to fit your wife.
You do have a wife, don't you?
I'd go Corian too on the countertop.
And hey, I never knew you'd visited my photo blog, sorry I never got back to you. I don't use any software, they just download into microsoft pictures and I change the size to upload them, they aren't altered (once in a while I might reduce brightness but that's pretty much it).
I'm adding you to my bloglines since I've missed out so much...
Post a Comment