Monday, July 09, 2007

To Frog, or not...

Yea,
I know. I said no new projects until I finished some UFO's. Well, that was way back last fall and I've yet to finish any of those UFOs. My knitting came to a screeching halt. So to freshen it up a little, I just started this:







I, along with 6700 other folks from around the globe, signed up for MS3 (the mystery stole knit-along #3).
It states in plain English that it's probably not the best pattern for beginning lace knitters, but you can't scare me! I bravely signed up even though I've never knit lace, knit with beads, or knit from a chart. It really isn't bad, you just take it one stitch at a time, the problem is that I'm not sure if it looks ok. It looks a little funky to me.
Others have theirs posted on their blogs and they have nice even stitches, well-defined lace..simply beautiful. Mine.. well, before I pinned it for the photos, a dirty handkerchief came to mind. Pinning it made the stitch definition a little better, but I'm just not sure... So, any lace knitters out there? Any suggestions? To frog or not to frog, that is the question. I'm wondering if my gauge is off. I'm using Addi turbo lace needles 3.25mm (US 3). Should I go up to a 4?

Any thoughts?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I think your lace looks wonderful. I've read that when it is not pinned or blocked that it has the appearance of Chinese noodles.... On my first lacey project a lady (shopper) in a yarn shop said that I really need to check my guage. Now that I've done more reading about lace and have done a little work with it, I know that she had no idea about lace knitting. (BTW that item came out beautfully when it was blocked - very light and airy.) I think if you read the posts or Melanie's blog (she recently knit a coral/pink stole) you will find that the appearance of lace when it is not blocked looks perfectly awful. I think the definition of the yarn overs is great when you contrast it to the stockinette areas. I believe that is the primary focus on the guage/swatch issue - finding the right needle size for your yarn that gives you clear definition, especially when you are 3 feet away from the project. Again, I think your stole is lovely, the picture is beautiful and I love the little doggy spirit there too.

Lucy said...

I'm an intermediate lace knitter (so don't give my comments *too much* weight), but I like how it looks. Pinning it down (blocking) is absolutely crucial to lace - so that is how to judge it, not by what comes off of your needles.

I like my lace a little tighter than some people. For example, my mother and I are both knitting MS3, and we have very different fabrics - hers is much more loose and airy, but I like mine more for me.

(mine)
http://workbasket.blogspot.com
go down to july 6, 2007

(hers)
http://knotsindeed.blogspot.com
go down to june 30, 2007

so it all depends on what you like for drape and size.

...but yes, *I* think yours looks great the way it is right now, but if *you* don't like it and want to change it, do it now - don't wait until you've got more done. :)

Hope that helps a bit.

Heather said...

Barb - I, too, like the way your lace looks -both as a blob and pinned out. It will stretch and lay flat with wet blocking when you are finished, and it will look like a smooshy, ghostlike blob while you knit it. That's what lace does. I think it looks just fine! Going up a needle size will only serve to make the plain knit sections more open, and less distinguishable from the yarn-overs/holes.

Anonymous said...

I think the guage is just right; loose stockinette and good definition on the yarnovers. When you are done and block it, it will look great.

Kathy said...

It's looking good, I would keep on trucking, I have done a lot of lace knitting (it's my weakness) and I know that the unblocked item resembles more a mess than an elegant shawl or stole, blocking does amazing tricks to lace. Have faith in your knitting, you can do anything. I jumped in feet first into lace and did the Legend of the Shetland seas as my first big lace project, not an easy knit either.



Kathy

wzgirl said...

Lace is hard. Your work is gorgeous, Barb! Really. Just wait until you block it. It is on its way to becoming a fantabulous shawl.

What a cool project. You go pioneer girl!

Vanessa said...

I think it looks great!! Keep in mind you have it pinned down backwards so you are looking at the back. I think the yarn overs and stockinette portions look great in relation to eachother though!

Beeb said...

Heeheehee...thanks Nessa. I didn't even notice that!
It is the contrast between the regular stitches and the yarn-overs that I'm concerned about though - and the final drape of the fabric once it's complete.
Thanks for all the input, I really, really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Hi - to me it's gorgeous but are you knitting 2, purling the rest and then knitting 2 on the wrong side. I looks like garter stitch in the photo and should be stocking stitch. Of course this could just be my eyes!!

Looks great anyway.

JO in OZ

Peachy said...

generally, lace looks ugly until you stretch and block it, in the end. And as your yarn overs are forming neat holes, and the pattern is visible clearly, I'd say you are doing everything right!

Gauge isn't critical with lace, at least I think so, only that you feel comfortable with the fabric you are creating. If the stockinette part feels too loose for you, you should go down a needle size, but you never have to go UP a needle size just because someone else is knitting with larger needles. I'm using 3mm myself, but it looks okay, so why bother? From the pics you show I'd really say, go on!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others, the stitch definition is great! The thing about lace knitting is to see the real results, you do have to wait until it's blocked, until then, it does have a tendency to look sloppy!

Your clue so far looks fabulous!

Arlene said...

Barb, your lace looks exactly like how it should at this point. You will be absolutely amazed at how blocking can change it into the lace you expect.

You don't say what yarn you are using, but if you pop over to my blog, you'll see exactly what Knitpicks Bare looks like before and after blocking. It truly makes a world of difference.

Did you perhaps photograph the back instead of the front though? The solid parts should be in stockinette stitch, not garter stitch, which may be contributing to your feeling of distress. Of course, its always your choice, but most of us are purling the main body of the lace on the uncharted rows, and yours looks as if you are knitting it instead.

Contact me if you want to talk more.

Peggy said...

Wow, I too am a new "lace" knitter and knitting the MS3. Your's looks awesome!!!!! I am only on row 13 I think, I got a late start. I had to run all over town to find a small enough crochet hook. Keep up the good work!!!! It is an encouragement to me.

Anonymous said...

It looks fine to me--really, that's what lace looks like until it's blocked. Once you block it, it's like magic and you have a beautiful piece of lace instead of a pile of boiled dental floss.

May said...

I think your lace looks lovely so far. I think your yo definition is good and looks nice. However, I do think that if you're not 100% happy with it, you should rip it. I find that if there's something nagging at me, I'm not going to be happy to keep making it and it'll ruin the experience for me.
But it's after all, your knitting and you should do what's right for you. :)
cheers!

Deborah said...

Your work is beautiful. After you mist it and block it, your lace will magically be even more beautiful!

CA Momma said...

Wow that is awesome! Great Job!

Kitt said...

Will being tagged for seven random gardening facts get you posting again?