Monday, October 02, 2006

Yassos!

Greetings from the lovely Naxos Island in Greece. Here's an update on our trip so far...
Day 1 : A LONG flight crunched into a space way to small for long legs (makes me think of springing for business class to China!) But that is all a distant memory now. After 16 or so hours of travel to get here, I'd say it's worth it.
We (my friends Alicia and Jules) spent the 28th in a fog walking through Athens and the ancient Acropolis... can barely remember because we were definitly sleep deprived.
The next morning.. up before the sun and on the ferry on our way to Naxos.
The trip to Naxos took 5 hours and the boat was packed. I heard the sunrise was beautiful over the water, but I was too sleepy to get my bottom out of the chair to go see it.
Our first lesson in Greek was taught by the colorful group of Greecians sharing our table. How best to describe them? In Greece, once you pass the age of 60ish, you travel with your fellow seniors for weekend trips to the islands. Our experience was a must for us. Among our lessons were how to correctly pronounce the island we were about to visit, tasting a local pastry (doughnut shaped and very delicious) that was handmade by "the teacher" (a lively white haired man among the group... whose only English was "I am a teacher").
And when we reached the island.... stay tuned!

Above was a joint venture by the sleep deprived Barb and the (apparently) water deprived Alicia.

BTW...Naxos is beautiful...so far much eating, enjoying the local wine...hiking - sort of...local music, beaches.....

8 comments:

Millicent said...

Hey...what fun! I want to hear all about your trip and I really want to see some pictures. Travel does wonders for "the wait" doesn't it?

C's Mom said...

Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

WOW, lucky you!! Sounds beautiful!

Donna said...

Wow! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Anonymous said...

Barb,

Hope you are having a cool time in Greece. How awesome! I have always wanted to go there. Please have some fun for me too.

Don't get into too much trouble okay??? :)

Deborah said...

Does the feta taste different there? I've always wondered about that, if it is creamier or something. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself - good to see your new post!

GoldenStrawbale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GoldenStrawbale said...

Wow, you get a log of comments. Your admirers need an update. What if you name moonbeam Athena?
Jules