Sunday, February 10, 2008

6 more sleeps!

That's all that's left before my trip to Cambodia.
I'm going a little crazy!

Let me fill you in a bit...
I've decided to redo my basement, I have a smallish two bedroom two bath home and would love to have one more bedroom and a playroom for the little beam. It seems that the project will start while I'm gone. So, my junk-filled basement has needed to be cleaned out.
I had planned a long weekend last weekend to accomplish this dirty task, but my sweet girl had her brush with death, consuming all my time. A few days after she was out-of-the-woods, I contracted the plague and spent most of this past week flat on my back (feeling much better now, thank you). Oh, and the week before Lannie's mishap, major car trouble/work costing mucho dinero. So, thus far, 2008 had been all about hemorrhaging $$$
Anyway, I spent the last two days getting most of the work done in the basement (another hour down there, and I'll be done). Here's a little tour of my dirty, dirty basement - until now it's been storage and where the dogs hang out during the day, so I don't spend a lot of time down there. It was rather obvious when I started moving stuff around - yikes!
Here's a tour of the "before".


The scary stairs you need to take to get down into the dust bowl..
These will be redone! Yay!

















Then the first little storage room...
The wall to the right is coming down, to open up the space and a storage closet will be at end of room.



















Then the next, slightly larger room...
The wall on the left is the same wall that is coming down. The window at the end will be turned into a 4x4 egress window. Those are pocket doors on the far right closing off a room that currently is housing all my things, but will eventually be a small bedroom. Where I'm standing to take the photo, will be a bathroom.


















Another view of the scary stairs.



















While I'm gone, they're taking down the wall and possibly putting in the egress window. If all goes smoothly, they may start on the bathroom, too. It will be quite exciting to see what I come home to. Hopefully the house will still be standing!


So, while I'm being bombarded with illnesses and nasty basement dustballs... Cambodia is closing in.
I do have high hopes of blogging from there, but you guys know how I am about blogging :)
Since a few of my coworkers are going, I don't want them to know about this blog, so I've created a new one.
It's andoffwego. See ya there!

3 comments:

Kitt said...

I'm subscribed! I do hope you'll be able to post updates while you're there.

Glad you're feeling better. Hope Lannie is, too!

walternatives said...

Thanks for posting this photos; it's nice to be able to visualize what you were talking about with the basement. Honestly, my first thought (selfish me) was "Oh, what a great guest room" as in "when we come to visit..."
Countdown to Cambodia - woo hoo!

C's Mom said...

Have a wonderful trip and I look forward to seeing the progress on the basement. It will be an amazing space when finished.