Monday, March 03, 2008

Pagoda on the way to Kampong Chhanong

Thurs March 21 several of us took a "field trip" to a local province, Kampong Chhnang, to visit the hospital and deliver some supplies. On the way we stopped for a photo op at this beautiful pagoda.
(To be honest we had one team member who was quite difficult and there were a few of us who needed a break - particularly me! )

It happens that the day we are there is a Buddhist holiday so there are some people there visiting their family mausoleums.
We also were visited by some of the local girls. They came up from the river whether they're homeless or just sent out to beg, we don't know.





The pagoda was beautifully painted with a lovely sculpture garden.
















A lion
















cute little monkey - didn't really see many of these.












A statue of Buddha holding a pot for rice.

















statue - light fixture, I think


















An elephant carrying the king





















There were rows of beautiful mausoleums. Some well cared for, some not












A family celebrating/ honoring their ancestors at a mausoleum










The beautiful girls that came up from the river. Rather than money, we gave them lollipops - they had mixed feelings about that - really wanted "dollars"






















Saying her thanks







I was over and over again awe-inspired. This pagoda and these girls were beautiful. The day did go on and that will be the next post. We went to the local hospital, to a village on the river, and stopped an ox cart delivering pottery... The trip was surreal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this trip with all of us

FDChief said...

Great post - thanks for making the trip for us so we could tag along electronically!

kitchu said...

Still in awe, thanks for sharing this with all of us! LOVE these photographs.

Millicent said...

BEEB!!! What a trip you've had! I can only see about half of your photos but what I can see is amazing. It's just so wonderful that you had this opportunity. We're headed to SE Asia at some point this year and we're wondering where, specifically, to go. Cambodia is looking pretty good...

Maia said...

OK, I"m finally getting to these pictures...incredible!! What an experience! The photos are gorgeous. I love the statues. The buddha with rice bowl...gosh, if I had the means I would have SO many buddha statues!